Registering your pedigree dog or litter of puppies:
The Maltese National Canine Federation’s (MNCF) registration system is akin to a family tree record - it is a simple record of a puppy's birth and keeps track of the dog’s registered ownership.
Registering your dog:
If the puppy you bought wasn't registered already by the breeder (which we do not suggest), you have to endure the process yourself. This includes obtaining the signatures of the breeder and of the owner of the sire (father) of your dog. Both the Sire and Dam of your puppy must be registered with the MNCF, otherwise the registration cannot be processed. Also, if your puppy is a result from a mating which infringes any Maltese Legislation or MNCF Regulation, it WILL NOT be registered. This is why we stress and insist that you should make sure that the puppy is already registered before you buy it. However, if you already bought an un-registered puppy, you can start the process of registration by downloading a Single Registration Form. Complete the form by filling in ALL the details required in the form, including ALL signatures and I.D Cards required, and return same to the MNCF with the relevant payment, either by post or personally by coming in person to our offices. (See opening times in CONTACT page on this website). Cheques should be made payable to MNCF. Please note that postal orders or money orders are NOT accepted. Please DO NOT send by registered post as the office is unattended during the morning and there will be no one to sign for the registered letter, and this will eventually be returned to you uncollected.
If your dog has been imported from a foreign Country, then it is important that you have the EXPORT PEDIGREE issued by the Kennel Club of the Country it came from and showing you as the owner of that dog. Therefore, a copy of the Export Pedigree is always needed when registering an imported dog, as only when you have this document can you register the dog and it's progeny.
For the BREEDER:
Ways to register your litter:
1. Download the Litter Registration Form (Form 1) from the Forms page on this website.
2. Complete the Form 1 - Litter Registration Form by filling in all the details required, I.D cards and telephone numbers of both the breeder and the owner of the sire. Make sure that the sire is registered with the MNCF, otherwise the application cannot be processed. If the sire is not registered, insist with the owner to register it as otherwise you will end up with a litter of dogs without pedigrees.
Please remember to complete all sections of form and return it to the MNCF. Application processing usually takes up to 7 days to process and so we kindly urge breeders to complete the application as early as possible to ensure the relevant registration documents are available for the puppies' new owners at the time of sale.
What happens when the litter is registered?
Once registered, you will receive individual registration papers (Registration Certificate) for each puppy. Please check the documents to ensure the details are correct, and then sign and pass to the new owner to enable them to transfer ownership.
Benefits to registering your litter MNCF Breed Register
- Prospective owners know registered puppies have been bred with care and can be confident that the dog they chose will display the proper characteristics of the breed in both looks and temperament
- Individual registration documents issued for each puppy registered
- Opportunity to purchase an official MNCF three generation pedigree, taking pride in your breeding
- Advertise MNCF registered puppies for sale on our Puppies Available service (which receives many searches every day providing responsible new puppy owners)
- All breeders who register their puppies with the MNCF accept the jurisdiction of the MNCF and undertake to abide by its General Code of Ethics.
The MNCF Breed Register is only available:
- to those puppies where the sire and dam are in, or have been transferred to, the registered ownership of the owner of the dog
- as long as the sire was mated with a dam of the same breed which is also MNCF registered.
Changing ownership of your dog
When you purchase an MNCF registered dog the breeder would have recorded with the MNCF the dog's details and the dog would be registered to the breeder. The breeder provides the Registration Certificate to the new owner so you can change ownership into your name. - The Registration certificate should look like this: CLICK HERE
By changing the registered ownership of your dog you are showing an official commitment to your dogs wellbeing and preserving the pedigree line of your dog with the MNCF. It is vital that you change ownership as soon as possible so that the correct information is recorded on the MNCF database. Some people won't bother to make the transfer immediately and then forget all about it. If in the future you want to mate your dog, you will need the Registration Certificate registered on your name. If you misplace it, we cannot be of any help to you unless you know the details of your dog as it is registered. Additionally in order to show or breed from your dog, it must be registered with the MNCF in your name. By changing ownership you will receive:
- An official personalised MNCF Owner Registration Certificate and a 3 Generation Pedigree (optional).
The Maltese National Canine Federation will not accept an application to register a litter or dog when:
1) The dam has already whelped 6 litters (Legal Notice 199 of 2011, paragraph 10 (3) )
2) The dam has already reached the age of 7 years at the date of whelping,
3) The dam was under one year old at the time of mating, (Legal Notice 199 of 2011, paragraph 10 (3) )
4) The dam had another litter within the previous 12 months. (Legal Notice 199 of 2011, paragraph 10 (3) )
5) The offspring are the result of any mating between siblings (brother and sister).
Please note that the MNCF does not register Merle colored dogs in the following breeds:
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Chihuahua (long and smooth)
How to change the ownership of my dog?
There are two ways you can change ownership of your dog.
- Complete the Transfer Form section found at the back of the Registration Certificate of the dog which should have been supplied to you by the breeder, duly signed by him.
- If the registration certificate is not available for some reason, download a Transfer Form (Form 3) from the Forms page on this website, and get it signed by the breeder (or present owner if the dog was already transferred from the breeder).
Alternatively, you can apply for the transfer in person by coming to our offices (See opening times in Contact Us page of this website).
TRANSFER OF MICROCHIP LICENSE
Transfer of ownership of a dog's license (microchip) is not within the jurisdiction on the MNCF and this should be made with the Ministry For Resources And Rural affairs, application form can be downloaded by clicking here: FORM
What is an Affix (Kennel Name) ?
An Affix (Kennel Name) is an exclusive word that is associated with you and your dogs. Known as your 'breeder signature', a Kennel Name will set your puppies aside from those of anyone else.
It is now an MNCF requisite that all dogs should carry an affix in their name. Single barrel names such as Rocky, Rambo, Becky or Beauty are not accepted anymore as these can lead to hundreds of dogs carrying the same name. By having an affix (kennel name) registered, the breeder has his own trade mark name on his puppies.
Let’s say for example, a breeder has the affix “Camelia” registered on his name. He can register a dog named “Camelia Rocky”, which ensures that no other person use the same name on his dog, since the affix “Camelia” is already registered. Rocky can be used with another affix, i.e “Kamajsa Rocky”. However, the breeder can only use a name once, say, if he named a dog “Camelia Rocky” he cannot use the same name in another litter, but he can have “Camelia Rambo”, “Camelia Becky” etc. The registration of the affix is done only once and it remains yours for future litters. Many people will find difficulty in finding the right affix, however, most use their nicknames as affixes, as long as it is not already registered by someone else.
You can include your Affix within the names of your puppies at the point of registration as well as add to an existing name of a dog in your current registered ownership.
Application for an Affix (Kennel Name)
You can apply for your unique Kennel Name by completing the form at our offices. Alternatively, you can download an Affix Application Form from the FORMS section on our website and return to the MNCF with your payment. A Kennel Name must be one word only, and at least 4 and not more than 12 characters. The Kennel Name may only be used for the naming of dogs where the ownership of the Kennel Name and the registered ownership of the dog are identical. Once you have an Affix registered on your name, it will remain yours and will be used in any future litters or dogs you might have.
May we remind that according to Legal Notice 199 of 2011, paragraph 10 (3)
No person shall:
(a) mate a bitch which is less than twelve (12) months old;
(b) whelp more than six (6) litters from the same bitch;
(c) whelp two litters within a period of twelve (12) months from the same bitch;
(d) sell a puppy before it is at least eight weeks old.
Therefore, the Federation will not be registering puppies which infringes the above mentioned Regulations. Also, the Federation will not register puppies whelped by bitches of 7 years or over at date of whelping, and of puppies or dogs whelped from siblings (sire and dam being litter brother and sister).